Selecting the best stock broker that suits your interests is the key to profiting from your investments. While there are several stock trading apps to choose from, selecting the wrong one can automatically turn your online investing journey from a thrilling experience to a huge disappointment.
Table of Contents
Investing in the UK is not very difficult if you find a suitable online trading platform. How, though, can you find the best trading app that meets your every need since there are thousands of online trading platforms to choose from?
In this guide, we have listed the best stock trading apps available for UK residents. What's more, you will get a breakdown of everything you should look for in stock buying apps and how to use them.
Let's find out what these stock trading apps are without wasting time.
What are stock trading apps?
In recent years, most of our daily activities involve mobile devices. So, to ensure that you stay in the game and keep an eye on your finances, most stockbrokers have adopted the trend and developed stock trading apps.
Stock trading apps allow you to take control of your finances and monitor your investments' performance using your mobile phone or tablet.
With stock trading apps, you can manage your accounts, conduct basic and advanced trades, and keep in touch with market movements.
Like crypto exchanges for cryptocurrencies, these trading apps make the stock market readily accessible to beginners in the industry as they have user-friendly interfaces that enable newbies and pros to start trading immediately.
Although certain crypto exchanges like Bitpanda are already listing tokens linked to stocks, their offering is way below par compared to traditional stock trading platforms.
The best stock trading apps and platforms in the UK
eToro — Overall Best UK Stock Trading App With Zero Fees
eToro is undoubtedly one of the best stock trading apps in the UK. It is a beginner-friendly multi-asset interactive broker that allows users to trade several assets such as stocks, forex, commodities, cryptocurrencies, and more.
It is the best trading platform for beginners. With a carefully designed user interface, fast trade execution speed, and a list of trading tools, you can't go wrong with eToro.
- Easy access to crypto investing
- Graph trading scenarios
- Valuable free training on trading techniques.
- Social news feeds with open trading notifications
- Provision of demo accounts.
- Easy access to crypto investing.
- A personalized news feed that suits your trading needs
- Copy-trading, allowing you to follow and copy experts' trades and portfolios
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface
- Discussion boards
- Highly advanced proprietary trading platform.
- It is regulated by several top financial watchdogs, including the FCA, CySEC, and ASIC.
- Access to trade some of the top cryptocurrencies by market cap.
- Limited access to technical indicators
- Absence of biometric login
- No access to analyst reports
The eToro trading app is available for both Android and iOS devices. The trading platform is also fully functional on the web version.
IG — Oldest and Most Reliable CFD Trading App
Established in 1974, IG is one of the most popular and reliable stockbrokers. The best thing is that IG has moved on with the times and now offers a user-friendly app with a long list of unique features.
The platform gives you access to thousands of financial instruments, including CFDs, options, spread-betting, cryptocurrency, stock trading, and more. It has an easy-to-use app interface that lets you get work done as fast and smoothly as possible without breaking a sweat.
IG allows you to manage a diversified investment portfolio using seven order types, with alerts to help notify you of various market movements.
- Fully operational and educational demo account set up
- Diversity of trading accounts options
- Trade alerts and watchlists
- IG short-selling
- IG Community for interacting with other traders.
- Access to over 18,000 listed markets
- Access to several international markets, including the US, South Africa, France, and more
- Variety of order and alert types
- Very intuitive
- Leverage and short-selling
- Excellent research and analysis tools
- Top-notch customer support system
- A highly trusted trading app, fully regulated by several top financial watchdogs.
- User accounts not secured by two-factor authentication
- Minimum deposit of £250
- Not suitable for beginners as the variety of trading assets, markets, and tools can be overwhelming for inexperienced users.
The trading app is available for download on both Android and iOS devices. However, it is best suited for Android users as the iOS version does not support deposits/withdrawals and real-time price alerts. The web version is also fully operational.
Interactive Brokers — Award-Winning Trading App
Interactive Brokers (IBKR) is a stock trading app that gives you direct access to US financial assets in the UK without searching for an international broker.
With its fully equipped user interface, this trading app offers you access to several international markets, including the US stock market, at the lowest prices.
IBKR has various charting tools, trading alerts, and order types. It has a robust security system that outperforms other stock trading apps in the market.
Its research materials are top-notch, with all the essential information, analyst reports, and price history of any assets you wish to trade on the platform.
- Low trading fees
- Great research tools
- Diverse account-based currencies
- Access thousands of financial instruments, including crypto, stocks, and bonds.
- Earn up to 3.8% on idle cash.
- 100+ order types
- Two-factor authentication system
- Access to one of the best educational and research tools
- Access to the US stock market at relatively low prices
- Low trading commissions
- Clear and free trade reports
- Users can choose an account type based on their specific profile.
- Not beginner-friendly
- High inactivity fees
Plus500 — Best App for Trading CFDs Globally
Plus500 is one of the leading stock trading apps, especially regarding trading Contract for Differences (CFDs). The platform boasts some 23 million users and allows you to actively participate in the global market for CFDs from 50 different countries. CFDs allow traders to make price predictions of underlying assets, whether the prices will go up or down, to make massive profits.
Plus500 is the best app for trading CFDs, as it has a highly intuitive interface with a list of features guaranteed to cater to your trading needs. This app allows you to find what you need with its search option; then, you can optimize your trading experience with the various available markets, limit, stop, and trailing stop orders.
With this app, you can automate your trading and keep in touch with market movements by setting up alerts for email, SMS, and notifications that will pop up on your phone screen.
- Access to over 24 different stock exchanges across the globe
- Access to a wide variety of investment assets, including crypto, stocks, ETFs, indices, and more
- Zero commission fees
- Trader Sentiment feature that allows you to see what assets other traders are trading and thinking about
- Easy-to-use app interface
- Zero commission charged on forex trading positions
- Zero transaction fees
- A substantial number of trading alerts
- Trader Sentiment feature
- Highly regulated
- Availability of leverage facilities
- Plus500 is a highly secure trading app with a two-step login and biometric authentication.
- Lack of advanced charting and analysis tools
- Unavailability of traditional investment assets.
The Plus500 stock trading app is available for download on Android and iOS devices. The web version is also fully operational.
City Index — Fully Regulated Stock Trading App
City Index is one of the reputable stock trading apps available in the UK since it is licensed and regulated by the FCA. The trading app primarily offers spread betting, CFD, and stock trading.
- Customizable trading platform
- Diverse research tools
- Fully functional demo account
- AI-powered trading bots
- Instant trade execution.
- Excellent educational tools
- Highly regulated
- Superb customer support system
- No minimum deposit
- Diverse research tools
- High non-trading fees
- Limited assets to invest
- Lacks advanced trading, research, and charting tools.
Capital.com — Online Trading App With Access to All Markets
Capital.com is a user-friendly trading app that is perfect for new and experienced market traders. It has a simple and straightforward interface that allows you to select which stocks you wish to trade efficiently.
Using real-time data and fast execution speeds provided by the trading app, you can benefit fully from the rapidly changing stock movements.
Capital.com is also one of the best online trading platforms to trade CFDs safely without experiencing many losses, as it has several tools to guide you on your investment journey. The platform has over 480,000 users and cemented its place in the brokerage industry.
This trading app charges zero trading, deposit, and withdrawal commissions since it profits from the buy/sale spreads. With a highly intuitive interface with a list of technical indicators and alerts, you can be sure that you are making wise trading decisions while using this app.
- Access to over 3,300 markets and a wide array of investment instruments to trade
- Highly intuitive user interface
- A demo account option
- Highly effective CFD trading guide materials
- Low minimum deposit of £20 on the trading app
- Highly regulated by top financial regulators, including FCA, CySEC, and the National Bank of Belarus.
- Over 3,000 investment assets to choose from
- Slick app design
- Highly educational videos
- Sophisticated risk management tools, including price alert systems, stop loss or limit orders, and negative balance protection.
- Users can fund their accounts with cryptocurrency.
- Access to maximum leverage of 1:30 for retail traders
- Not compatible with MT4/MT5 trading platforms
IronFX — Online Trading App With High Leverage for Traders
IronFX is a leading stock trading app recognized both within and outside the UK. The company is registered in Cyprus and has carefully crafted product offers that suit the needs of both its retail and institutional clients.
Users can access over 300 tradable assets, including forex, commodities, stocks, cryptocurrencies, etc.
- An auto-trade feature that allows you to copy the trades of expert traders on the platform.
- Fully funded demo account to help beginners
- Partnership programs for interested affiliates.
- 100% sharing bonus for first-time users.
- Highly regulated by FCA, ASIC, CYSEC, and FSCA
- Multilingual customer support service
- Over 300 tradable assets
- High leverage of up to 1:1000
- Free educational tools (IronFX School)
- Dedicated customer support, available 24/5
- Very few tradable assets compared to some other trading apps.
- Customer support is not available on weekends.
FXCM — EU Forex Trading App With Zero Commission
Forex Capital Markets (FXCM) is an excellent trading app that offers you access to CFDs for several tradable assets and allows you to participate in spread betting. With an intuitive interface design, FXCM will enable you to spread bets on its app without capital gains or stamp duty. It makes spreading betting and CFDs trading very easy.
- Real-time news and educational resources
- Access to diverse assets, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, ETFs, and commodities.
- A fully operational demo account
- Research and trading tools
- Dynamic rebate program
- User-friendly interface design
- Zero trade commissions
- Great customer support system
- Excellent educational tools
- High bank withdrawal fees
- High inactivity fees, up to £50 monthly
- Not ideal for beginners
FXCM is available on Android and iOS devices and can be downloaded for free.
Fineco Bank — Stock Trading App for Premium Traders
The name makes it sound like a traditional bank, but it isn’t. Fineco is another popular stock trading app that has over 1 million users in Europe. The platform offers you access to a mind-blowing array of tradable assets, either as CFDs or outright purchases.
With over 10,000 shares from various stock markets in the US and UK, Fineco offers clients a zero per cent commission for trading stock CFDs. Fineco Bank charges relatively low fees and has no minimum deposit for CFD trading or share dealing.
- Proven track record
- Fully equipped demo account
- Variety of tradable assets, including stocks, crypto, ETFs, and more
- No minimum deposit
- Individual savings account with tax-free investments.
- More than 10,000 available assets to trade
- Zero commission for Shares CFD trading
- Super intuitive user interface
- Variety of research tools and a customizable news feed
- Excellent customer support service
- Highly regulated
- Few technical analysis tools
- No support for crypto trading.
- Not suitable for advanced traders
The Fineco Bank stock trading app is available for download on Android and iOS devices. However, the advanced features of this trading app are only available on the web version.
Libertex — Zero Spread Stock and Crypto Trading App
Libertex is a zero-spread stock trading app ranked among the best stockbrokers in the UK. Libertex gives you access to several financial instruments, including indices, stocks, commodities, and more.
Libertex allows retail traders to enjoy leverage up to 1:30, while professional investors can enjoy even higher leverage, up to 1:600.
- Access to stocks, ETFs, cryptocurrencies, and more is traded as CFDs.
- Fully-fledged demo account loaded with £50,000 to practice trading
- Access to several international stocks
- Deposit funds with credit and debit cards
- Extremely low minimum deposit, just £8
- Loads of technical indicators
- Zero spreads on all asset classes
- Highly regulated
- The most comprehensive range of payment methods
- Relatively low commission charges
- Limited tradable assets, only a couple hundred.
- Limited educational materials
Libertex stock trading app is fully functional and available for download on both Android and iOS devices.
Investous — Best Stock Investing App for Beginners
Investous is one of the best commissionless stock trading apps for UK users. It has over 270 trading instruments and allows retail users to enjoy leverage of up to 1:30. Investous allows you to customize your trading screen and use the abundant technical indicators.
- Access to stocks, cryptocurrencies, forex, and commodities which are all traded as CFDs
- Fully equipped demo account
- Loads of research tools supplied by MT4
- Ideal for new investors
- Zero trading commissions
- Full support for MT4 on the mobile apps
- Low spreads.
- Access to multiple technical indicators and advanced charts
- Very few tradable assets
- Relatively high minimum deposit, about £200
Investous is available for download on Android, iOS, and even Windows phones.
AvaTrade — Best Moneyback Stock Trading App
This highly functional trading app is extremely popular for its diversity. It has three mobile trading apps: AvaTrade GO, AvaTrade Options, and AvaTrade Social.
The AvaTrade GO is the primary mobile app, and it has the AvaProtect feature, which ensures you get your money back on every trade you lose.
The AvaTrade Options app is only suitable for traders who wish to trade options. It provides access to advanced technical indicators and charting tools. The app allows you to trade options for more than 40 currency pairs.
AvaTrade Social is a social app that allows you to connect with other traders and copy their trading patterns.
- Autochartist trading signals for forex
- AvaProtect feature
- Demo accounts
- Access various assets, including cryptocurrencies, forex options, stocks, and commodities.
- Highly regulated across multiple jurisdictions.
- Highly intuitive user interface
- Advanced research and trading tools, including MT4 access
- Options trading
- High leverage up 1:30
- Stocks cannot be bought directly and can only be traded via CFDs
- Relatively high spreads
The AvaTrade app is available on both Android and iOS devices.
Forex.com — Most Popular Forex Trading App
This is one of the largest and most popular stock trading apps with various useful features. With customizable user interface designs, Forex.com is a top choice among traders who trade currencies and stocks.
Forex.com is one of the largest MT4 brokers in the world, and it has the lowest trading fees. It offers high leverage to active traders, up to 1:200, and they do not pay trade commissions.
- Access to several investment instruments, including ETFs, commodities, Cryptocurrencies, stocks, and many more
- A wide array of research tools and trade indicators
- Access to a variety of global stock markets
- Customizable dashboards, intuitive trade tickets, and watch lists.
- Access to Reuters news, allowing you to keep up with market movements
- Access to one of the largest ranges of tradable assets
- Highly intuitive interface
- High leverage rates
- Access to over 65 indicators and 14 trade charts
- Zero deposit/withdrawal fees
- Highly regulated
- High inactivity fees
Forex.com app is available for download on both Android and iOS devices.
How to choose the best stock trading platform
Choosing the best stock broker UK can be quite a daunting task, considering that thousands of stock trading apps are available. However, to ensure that you use only the best trading app, we have outlined some of the most important factors to consider in a stock trading app.
This is the most important thing to look for in any online trading platform. Even if the trading app offers meagre fees with hundreds of thousands of tradable stocks, as long as the necessary authorities do not regulate it, it is not the best choice.
Therefore, before opening a brokerage account in the UK, it will be best to consider if the stock app is authorized by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). For further protection, ensure that the trading app is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) to provide a firm insurance policy for your trading funds.
The rigorous process involved in securing regulatory licenses is one of the reasons why most shady brokers do not have one. Hence, regulated brokers are more trustworthy and relatively secure for traders.
Available Tradable Stocks
The stock trading app you choose determines the number of tradable stocks available to you and the markets you can access.
Most UK stock trading apps will only give you access to stock markets within the UK, including the London Stock Exchange.
However, suppose you want to explore other stock markets worldwide, including the US, South African, and Canadian markets. In that case, it will be best to look for a stock trading app that gives you access to international markets.
Additionally, you need to know exactly what you are trading, whether CFDs or directly investing in stocks and other financial instruments. Most top trading apps give you access to both.
You must check whether your chosen trading app is compatible with your device. It is also best to ensure that the stock trading app compatible with your device's operating model is suitable for you. Choosing an app incompatible with your device can make your trading experience frustrating. It generally limits the number of features you can access.
Trading stocks using mobile apps can be pretty challenging, especially if you want to conduct technical analysis. Therefore, you must ensure that the trading app you choose offers a seamless trading experience with a user-friendly and intuitive interface.
To discern this, it would be best to choose a stock trading app with a demo account option, which gives you a glimpse of the actual trading experience since most apps do not allow access to the central platform unless your account is funded.
Available Trading Tools and Features
Trading apps are not designed the same way. While some apps provide users with many features and advanced trading tools, others give users access to the basic features and tools.
So, when choosing the best stock trading app, it is vital to take note of the following features :
- Leverage: The best trading apps allow you to trade using high leverage while meeting the ESMA limit of 1:30 for CFD trading.
- Copy Trading: This feature has made eToro a favourite among stock traders. It lets you see thousands of expert traders and carefully copy the ones that best suit your needs. This feature is especially ideal for new traders.
- Market Orders: The best trading apps do more than provide a buy or sell order. They take it further by offering a wide range of order types, including stop-loss, take-profit, and limit orders.
- Fractional Shares: If you want to invest in small volumes, it is best to search for a trading app that offers fractional ownership of your preferred stock.
- Trading Calculator: This fantastic tool enables you to determine how much you make or lose accurately and the trading fees and commissions you will incur while trading.
- Watch List: Choosing the best stock trading app will allow you to customize the assets you are interested in and keep track of their performance.
- Trading bots: These computer programs automate your trading and make it easier to book profits while you're away from your desk.
Customer Support Service
The best trading apps provide a highly efficient customer support service that will help you whenever you need it. The most effective way is through live chat customer support, which allows you to contact a support team member and relate your problem. You may want to try out these channels and check their level of responsiveness before depositing funds on the brokerage platforms.
You need to check what trading commissions you will pay when using a particular stock trading app.
Remember, choosing the one with the lowest trading fees and commissions is not always a guarantee of a good trading app if it does not meet the other requirements.
So, take your time and make inquiries to enable you to make informed decisions.
How to use stock trading platforms
Once you have decided which trading app to use, you must follow a set of steps to start trading immediately.
We will be using the eToro trading app as a case study.
Download the app
Go to the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store to download either the iOS or the Android version of the eToro trading app. The download is free and will only take a few seconds to fully install on your phone, depending on your internet speed.
Open a trading account.
Once your eToro app is installed on your mobile device, you must open a trading account. Fill in the necessary information, including your full name, email address, and phone number.
After signing up, you will also need to complete your account verification by uploading the account holder's ID.
Deposit your funds
Once your account is fully set up, you will have to fund your account by choosing any preferred payment method, credit/debit card, wire transfer, and more. You can then add any preferred amount you want to deposit and confirm payment.
Select market and tradable assets
After you have deposited some funds into your trading account, you can select any asset of your choice from the list of tradable assets available on the platform.
Place an order and start trading.
Once you have found a suitable asset to trade in, place your order by filling in the necessary details. Confirm the purchase and start selling. It's as simple as that.
What you need to know before trading
Before engaging in the stock market, it is crucial to note the following:
- Trading takes time, so you have to make out time to evaluate your trades
- Do not invest more than you are willing to lose. Most trades, especially CFDs, are highly speculative and can cause you to lose all your funds.
- Read, read, and read. The market is constantly evolving and you need to follow suit.
- Practice trading, which can be made easier if you select a trading app that offers a demo account option.
- Do not buy an asset only because a celebrity or influencer promotes it. Ensure you clearly understand the asset and solid research backing your investment decisions.
- Learn to analyze market movements to enable you to make intelligent trading decisions.
Are stock trading apps safe?
Yes, stock trading apps are safe only if they are authorized and licensed by the necessary financial regulators, especially the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
It is equally important to look out for stock trading apps covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) as an additional safeguard.
So, when deciding which trading app to open a brokerage account in the UK, you must ensure that it is fully licensed and regulated, abiding by Anti-money Laundering (AML) and Know Your Customers (KYC) compliances.
Stock trading apps licensed by these regulators must meet very strict security requirements to protect clients' personal information and trading funds.
Below are answers to some of the frequently asked questions about stock trading apps in the UK.
How can Beginners Trade Stocks in the UK?
The best trading strategy for newbies in the stock market is to buy and hold stocks long-term. This involves buying the stocks of financially stable companies, adding them to your investment portfolio, and holding onto them for a very long time. This method lets you focus on other things without worrying about short-term market volatility.
How Much do I Need to Start Trading?
The truth is that while some UK stockbrokers may require a minimum deposit of £100 or more, it is not enough to buy stocks and other instruments directly. That amount is only enough to trade CFDs, which allows you to speculate on the price of assets and make profits from them without owning them. So, if you wish to buy and trade these stocks directly, you will need a substantial amount of money.
What Shares Can I Trade on a Stock Trading App?
The options available to you depend on the particular stock trading app that you choose. Some apps give you access to thousands of stocks to trade, both inside and outside the UK.
Who Regulates Stock Trading in the UK?
Both stock and securities markets operating in the UK are licensed and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The regulatory body supervises the activities of these firms to ensure the safety of clients' funds and data.
Can I Deposit Funds and Complete Verifications Using Trading Apps?
Stock trading apps are available to make it easier for users to engage in trading conveniently. And yes, you can safely upload your verification documents and deposit funds using the best trading app.
What do I do if the Trading App Suddenly Stops Working?
If your stock trading app suddenly stops working, don't panic. First, close the app and, if possible, log out of your trading account. Allow it to rest for a few minutes, and try logging in again. If you are still having issues with it, contact the broker immediately.
Can I get Live Customer Support?
The best stock trading apps provide a readily available customer support team to which you can always reach out whenever you experience any challenges.
Finding the best trading app is not easy, considering several trading apps are available. However, knowing what you need to navigate your way through the large financial market effectively is vital. Applying the above tips in this article will help you find the perfect trading app just for you.